For those who may believe they are the target of age discrimination, the ADEA considers the following to be warning signs:
- Younger Workers: A company has a pattern of firing and replacing older workers with younger employees
- Age Related Comments: Age related jokes, talks of retirement, and demeaning tones are part of the work environment.
- Job Reassignment: An unpleasant job reassignment is often a sign that a company is trying to get a worker to quit.
- Unfair Performance Reviews: If performance reviews suddenly tank, chances are a company has decided to get rid of older, more expensive workers.
- Lack of Raises or Promotions: Promotions and raises are reserved for younger, less experienced staff.